HistorieEN - Zum Siegburger
17625
page-template,page-template-full_width,page-template-full_width-php,page,page-id-17625,bridge-core-1.0.6,cookies-not-set,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-title-hidden,qode-child-theme-ver-1.0.0,qode-theme-ver-18.2,qode-theme-bridge,transparent_content,qode_header_in_grid,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-6.0.5,vc_responsive
Siegburger_Stich

Why do we call ourselves Gasthof “Zum Siegburger”?

Originally belonging to Irmingard von Aspel, the count’s property in Straelen was donated to Siegburg Abbey by Archbishop Anno II of Cologne in 1064.

The Abbot of Siegburg was thus the landlord and court of Straelen until 1799.

From time to time the Siegburg Abbot in Straelen received the homage of the population. He was received in a festive manner at the official boundary near Wankum and was humbly welcomed by the representatives of the town and church at the town boundary near the Annakapelle, i.e. right in front of this inn.

 

The history of the inn:

More than 50 years have passed since the football player Willi Scholten of TuS Kevelaer was courted by SV Straelen to change his club. But without a secure existence Willi Scholten did not want to change the club. After all, his wife had a thriving grocery store in Kevelaer and he had a good job with the company Weber & Wenzel in Geldern.

But finally in May 1967 the Panhuysen siblings were looking for a successor for their small restaurant and bakery in Straelen, which was founded by Peter Boeckstegers in 1870 and continued by his daughter Anna Panhuysen and her 3 daughters since 1900. This was the opportunity Willi Scholten, father of the current owner Manfred Scholten, had been waiting for and he moved with his family to Straelen to play football successfully.

The small restaurant also became famous through sports, so that the first rebuilding took place already in 1968. The bakery with the small shop had to make way for a spacious kitchen, a bowling alley and a lounge.

In 1976 Willi Scholten stopped his active soccer time for reasons of age and devoted himself only to gastronomy.

In 1977, more than 30 years ago, the entire business was converted into a small hotel. The bowling alley was moved to the basement to make room for a larger social room, at the same time a second bowling alley was worthwhile. 8 hotel rooms and a further social room completed the construction measures.

In 1993 the restaurant was rebuilt and a beautiful counter area with niches now invites you to linger.

1998 Willi Scholten handed over the business to his son Manfred. Also in the 2nd generation it went further uphill. From the 8 rooms became meanwhile 19.

The small pub has thus developed over time into a stately business with almost 20 employees, who all strive for the well-being of the guest.

The excellent home-style cooking and international cuisine with regional and seasonal action weeks has certainly contributed a lot to make the inn “Zum Siegburger” known and popular beyond the borders of Straelen. Cosy rooms invite you to explore the Lower Rhine or the surroundings of Straelen by bike.